Financial Prepping

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if the SHTF happened tomorrow just how many people do you think would even have an inkling of how to even start growing their own food nor would know what wild plants are edible and which are deadly! in an era when everyone gets their food from a supermarket not many!! in this country most are "4 generations removed from the land" and that's where the knowledge has been lost, okay when they can get someone else to do it for them but not when they have to be self reliant, which they would have to be in my scenario, that's where the mortality rate comes in.
its all very well being computer literate but that's not going to feed them post SHTF.
Hopefully the rural peoples who have some knowledge and perhaps only one generation removed will be able to survive. The wealthy who do not have a clue will be out of luck. No one will want their paper money so they can't buy help, food , or anything else for that matter.

Hopefully the rural peoples who have some knowledge and perhaps only one generation removed will be able to survive. The wealthy who do not have a clue will be out of luck. No one will want their paper money so they can't buy help, food , or anything else for that matter.
a lot of rural property in this county is bought by the wealthy, land is bought so that they have security and privacy, maybe keep a few ponies but that is all, they still buy there food from fortnam, and masons if not harrods!;)

if the SHTF happened tomorrow just how many people do you think would even have an inkling of how to even start growing their own food nor would know what wild plants are edible and which are deadly! in an era when everyone gets their food from a supermarket not many!! in this country most are "4 generations removed from the land" and that's where the knowledge has been lost, okay when they can get someone else to do it for them but not when they have to be self reliant, which they would have to be in my scenario, that's where the mortality rate comes in.
its all very well being computer literate but that's not going to feed them post SHTF.

Agree Paul, I am compiling a notebook on gardening and canning for my daughter. She knows the basics, but I'm writing it down too. I4' Also leaving notes on certain aspects of the house that most wouldn't know such as if you trip a breaker you have to also trip the breaker in the bathroom and on the front porch hmmmm. Such things are taken for granted by the principal party responsible, but others would be lost.

I think it is certain that bartering goods and services/trade will play big in post shtf.....food, water and ammunition, etc etc, and at the same time, I know many folks who are buying silver figuring that precious metals will get you what you need.

I guess I'm figuring both aspects would be better than just one? I should start working on getting some silver at least, just in case. Though, it could be quite difficult to get a case of rations from someone who can't use silver coins for anything....right?

I don't believe that immediately post SHTF bartering will be safe, by the time it is safe we've all probably learned to live without whatever it is we were going to barter for.
I don't believe in stocking large amounts of goods for barter post SHTF, better to use that space for stuff we will be using ourselves.

No,..immediately and for some time thereafter will be mayhem and confusion for sure.

It's certainly less of an issue if you're "stay mode" and well stocked, but if you're on the go and need something on your way? Interacting after things settle down is stupid hard to predict.

I was talking about financial prepping, and the questionable proposition of having precious metals to obtain goods ?

There will be little that I need because I'll have it stocked, so I won't trade it because I already have it.

Don't think for a minute that stuff like lumber and steel, or tools you don't already have will be something you are interested in eventually. If people will still work together, there will still be something of value in exchange for needs. Fill in the mystery blank here....is it silver, or fuel? Food or ammunition? Water maybe?

Dealing with the unknown is a bitch sometimes, and that's why I'll have a bunch of stuff ready.

Here's a great place to learn more: daveramsey.com . He's a radio guy, with Christian-based financial advise. Don't worry, he won't beat you over the head with the Bible. But he offers great common sense guidance on how to get out of debt, how to live within a budget, and how to make your money work for you. It is not 'prepping', but it's just as good if not better.

BTW, if you think silver/gold aren't valuable post SHTF, do you really think cryptocurrency will be worth a lick? Precious metals are good as some of your last prepping items, but 95% of preppers are not to that point.
I would also suggest to read his book Total Money Makeover. It's a good and simple plan and it worked for me then I was in a difficult situation.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back