Dogs for defence

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I know that part one of the worst dog I had for wanting to fight was a beagle I had for hunting and the one for the worst coward I ever saw was a pit my brother's girlfriend had it would run if you just looked at it wrong but the part I am trying to decide is if a small dog that well wake the whole family if someone comes around because I have got my gun to take care of it if fighting is called for or would a big dog that could stop someone from coming into the house and give you a few seconds longer to get woke up and ready I could see a few good points to both

you could try at the dog shelters,you never know what you will meet there,there could be the one/ones you gave a chance and they will remember..always.

Turn the only thing Is the only shelter is the next counte over but I know some of the dogs that I have seen that were the most protective over their people were rescue dogs but I have a few dogs in mind that have a history as guard dogs

The problem with a large aggressive dog is there are too many lawyers in the world

I'm with Brent on this. Though we do have one large aggressive dog, it was more of a happenstance than seeking him out. But, at least we have a large dog yard where he can run around, so if we have people over, no worries (and if needed, like if raining, we can always simply let him chill in the shop, indoors, after hours).

The little dogs though, are far better alarms. They make a LOT of noise. My big dog though, will hit the door when someone he doesn't know comes up to it, which is pretty damn intimidating if you didn't know how lovable he can be.....

Oh yeah totally agree with that for one to be running loss but what I am thinking with the way the laws are here is one as a house dog because the laws are in a home invasion deal you are pretty much allowed to do what ever you have to do to stop it and I am thinking a big guard dog can stop someone at the door and maybe keep me from having to use my gun and other time I was thinking about was extra protection for the wife when she has to do something when I can't be with her around here if you attack a woman and her dog rips off a body part the cops and every body looks at like you got what was coming to you

IMG_2423.JPG

This should answer your question. Working line German Shepherd... These are mine...

All I know is if someone tries to get by them, I need to shoot them because they are crazy and intend me harm....

Wow those are some interesting dogs my dad saw Shepard dogs when he was in the army that was used as guard dogs on the base and the way he talked they were man killers with anyone besides their own handler so I grew up thinking they were a one person dog but do you think they can be a family dog the two I was looking at was the old southern white bulldog and the dogo because they have a history of being protective of the whole family and also being good about keeping wild animals like coyotes and wild dog chased away from children and the house

Wow those are some interesting dogs my dad saw Shepard dogs when he was in the army that was used as guard dogs on the base and the way he talked they were man killers with anyone besides their own handler so I grew up thinking they were a one person dog but do you think they can be a family dog the two I was looking at was the old southern white bulldog and the dogo because they have a history of being protective of the whole family and also being good about keeping wild animals like coyotes and wild dog chased away from children and the house
Shepards do tend to attach to one person, and they are usually easily trained to be great guard dogs as its a natural tendency for them. Just remember, each animal is an individual, and the way you raise and train it can make huge differences. It does make sense to start with a breed that normally have the traits that you are looking for though.

because the laws are in a home invasion deal you are pretty much allowed to do what ever you have to do to stop it

Here's where it gets odd. The law is more on your side if you kill the intruder vs. injuring them. There have been plenty of cases where an intruder has sued the homeowner for injuries incurred in a break-in, and WON! It's why any intruder I have to injure, is also going to have to die.

No doubt in a lot of places it would happen but here I know of a fee times people broke in on the wrong person and got the you know what beat out of them

German Shepherds are ideal family dogs. The reason the dogs only listen to the one person is because they were trained that way. They can handle a plethora of owners and handlers unlike some breeds. The Dogo is a good dog but, they don't do well with social situations an if it feels stressed or cornered can attack viciously. German Shepherds if raised to be social do fine with social situations. I have mine completely attack trained and he is completely child safe. Any child can man handle him with no risk. Not so with strangers who come to the house without permission. Heaven help you at that stage.

P.s. I am a dog trainer/behaviorist.

Ok something different to think about that was one of the things I was wondering about with a g.s.d was if one is attack trained if they were just to dangerous to be around kids we don't have any right now but my brother has two and they can be a hand full which I never leave a kid alone with a dog or any other animal but if you feel like you can trust your two with kids rough housing with them maybe i need to look at them but two of the jobs I was looking for a dog for was extra protection for the wife when she has to do stuff and I can't be with her if you have seen Shepard's do better than some others around a lot of people they might be good for her in a spot like going for a walk in the evening which is something she likes to do and the other job is keeping wild animals away how would you think they would do in a job like that

I live on 20 acres in the woods. The shepherds keep all bad things away. I watched them rip a coyote in 2 once, It tried to grab my goat.

Wow if two of them can do that I would hate to see what they could do to a human they just might be great to keep the wife company when I can't be there just out of curiosity if you have ever had someone come to the door they did not know did they met them at the door on their own or stay close to you and your family

we lost our nearly 14 year old terrier tuesday last just before 3pm, so we are dog less for the time being, we are pretty upset as you can imagine, she wasn't just our friend, our buddy, our companion but our watch dog, sniffer dog, tracker dog and all round best mate.
So sorry to hear, still pangs inside when i think about the ones we lost last year, in time we got two new ones a Basset for the wife and a Bull Terrier for me, ive got my own mini riot going in the mornings and the afternoons and not much space left on the bed at night.

Latest posts

Back