Chicken/egg question

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Georgia, I had an apartment attached to the coop that had a screen so that the flock could see the chick's and acclimate to them. It made it easier but of course they still went through the pecking order ritual. I got the roos because I kept the chicks indoors and the dust and smell became too much.

When a hen hatches, the babies are automatically part of the flock and the roos start protecting. They stay in the same room.

Arctic, can you tell us how to freeze eggs? I'm assuming you don't just stick them in the freezer.

We have frozen eggs before but be aware that it can change the consistency and taste a little bit I think. They are also easily dehydrated to make egg powder which we like better for baking and cooking.

Last edited:
I'm not Artic but some people crack and blend like making scrambled eggs, place in ice trays until frozen, then empty into freezer bags.
That's right Robin. She take 2, 3 or 4 eggs, lightly scramble them in a bowel and pour in to freezer bags. Then she lays the bags flat on a baking sheet, wtites the date, number of eggs and freeze them. They don't take up much space that way and when frozen the bags can be stacked.
She has another idea of a way to preserve whole eggs for a year or more. I think they need to be covered in lime. I'll check with her when we can talk on the phone next.

That's right Robin. She take 2, 3 or 4 eggs, lightly scramble them in a bowel and pour in to freezer bags. Then she lays the bags flat on a baking sheet, wtites the date, number of eggs and freeze them. They don't take up much space that way and when frozen the bags can be stacked.
She has another idea of a way to preserve whole eggs for a year or more. I think they need to be covered in lime. I'll check with her when we can talk on the phone next.

You can coat them in wax and they last a long time. Months. Shorter term, rub with mineral oil

So I guess making over medium fried eggs from frozen eggs is out?

Not really. Better than nothing! Taste for yourself. Take a couple eggs ( out of shell) and scramble them and stick them in the freezer for a day. Or don't scramble them, your choice. Tomorrow take them out and let thaw in the fridge and cook them and see what you think. Please share your thoughts.

The Chinese have been preserving eggs that way for hundreds of years. They call them "Century Eggs" or "Thousand Year Eggs" and they are usually made from duck eggs, but they also use chicken and quail eggs.

The story of their invention goes something like this:
Around 600 years ago in Hunan during the Ming Dynasty, a homeowner discovered duck eggs in a shallow pool of slaked lime that was used for mortar during construction of his home two months before. Upon tasting the eggs, he set out to produce more – this time with the addition of salt to improve their flavor – resulting in the present recipe of the century egg.​
71FhIjDz6OL._SL1100_.jpg

The Chinese have been preserving eggs that way for hundreds of years. They call them "Century Eggs" or "Thousand Year Eggs" and they are usually made from duck eggs, but they also use chicken and quail eggs.

The story of their invention goes something like this:
Around 600 years ago in Hunan during the Ming Dynasty, a homeowner discovered duck eggs in a shallow pool of slaked lime that was used for mortar during construction of his home two months before. Upon tasting the eggs, he set out to produce more – this time with the addition of salt to improve their flavor – resulting in the present recipe of the century egg.​
71FhIjDz6OL._SL1100_.jpg

I'll pass thank you thougho_O

Balute was the worst way to preserve them that I’ve read about. Take a fertilized chicken or duck egg and in 17 days kill it, then bury in the ground for months to ferment. And they call that a delicacy! Pretty gross, and I gotta ask, how in the heck did someone find out that wouldn’t kill you to eat it....

Now that the chickens are laying again, and the ducks, I'm finding eggs all over the place. On my tractor seat, in some coiled up chocker chains and in the hay in the barn. I'm unloading a trailer load of hay today and in the middle of the load on the trailer deck was 6 eggs. I'm getting a dozen in their nest boxes every day too.
Every now and then the dog will find an egg somewhere and will bring it to me, unbroken.

Back