Can anyone recommend a few good quality Bug Out Bags?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AestheticPrepping

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend and link a few good quality bug out bags?
I've researched some but some people always have bad things to say about them in the comments.

do you have some way to try them on you? at a camping store,mil.surplus store perhaps?
it kinda depends how tall you are and how long your back is,how does the bag feel when you have it on you? are the shoulder straps okay,are the starps wide enough,does this bag sit properly on my shoulders,zippers good,how's the stiching done,would think most mil.surplus stores have a big variety of bags and some are nearly new or very little used.
my BOB is and old model saddel rucksack,canvas with leather straps and still missing that frame ( now know where to get one).
but whatever you get,be sure material is good,stiching okay,it's a hell to carry something that's broken after a few miles,I'll try to dig some more info for you, perhaps I find some pdf here ( should be here some place)

do you have some way to try them on you? at a camping store,mil.surplus store perhaps?
it kinda depends how tall you are and how long your back is,how does the bag feel when you have it on you? are the shoulder straps okay,are the starps wide enough,does this bag sit properly on my shoulders,zippers good,how's the stiching done,would think most mil.surplus stores have a big variety of bags and some are nearly new or very little used.
my BOB is and old model saddel rucksack,canvas with leather straps and still missing that frame ( now know where to get one).
but whatever you get,be sure material is good,stiching okay,it's a hell to carry something that's broken after a few miles,I'll try to dig some more info for you, perhaps I find some pdf here ( should be here some place)

Thanks for the help you've provided me, I'm 6'2 210lbs, so i'm not a tiny guy, i have a n athletic build.

I don't get the pricing of these bags..

This Bag costs $90 depending on color > http://www.amazon.com/SOG-Barrage-T...8&qid=1462750871&sr=8-2&keywords=sog+backpack
But then this bag cost like nearly double but has way less cubic inches than the other one > http://www.amazon.com/Direct-Action...&qid=1462754633&sr=8-1&keywords=direct+action
The First bad (The SOG) Has > 3924 cu. In 64.3 Liters
The second bag this is almost double only has about 1920 cu. In

Is there a reason for this? That warrants the price?
Obviously i can see the Direct Action backpack is much nicer bar none, but why is there such little space?

Another thing is on this site here, it has bags for $60 that have nearly 4000 cubic inches and all the molle stuff? Why are the prices so lower for a bag that can carry nearly double more than the expensive one?> http://www.militaryluggage.com/Marines-backpacks-s/1843.htm

Last edited:
Another thing about the Direct Action Ghost is that on the main website its states that it has 1922 Cubic inches in space but this guy who did a review here > http://militarybackpackguide.com/review-direct-action-gear-ghost-pack/
said that it has 2950 Cubic inches of space? Why is he saying it has more? Is this true or not? I am so confused?
Maybe the reviewer made a mistake on the actual size? Or the manufacturer wasn't counting all of space available? Either way it sounds like a good bag.

I got a $20 backpack at WalMart that has suited me just fine over the years.
It's got lots of padding, so is comfortable.
It's durable, even the haul up strap...
It's waterproof.
And it has pockets and two mesh holders for my canteens (which then carabiner clip to keep them in).

Can't complain.

here's what i got at a army/navy surplus store 2 or 3 years ago.i don't remember how much i paid for it.but yet i do know that i was ok with the price.or i wouldn't of bought it..not sure.but i think it was silent bob who has one as well.and if he is.then he probably can tell you more about them,then i can..i haven't tried mine out yet.on account im waiting untill i have enough items in it first.so i don't know how well it fits yet..

2016-05-09 002.JPG 2016-05-09 001.JPG

A good pack is a sturdy comfortable pack, what may be a good pack for me may be a very bad choice for you. Go to surplus stores, sporting goods and big box stores and try them out, for bigger folks the sternum strap can be an issue, the weight should ride on the hip belt also the shoulder straps may be too narrow making the pack to tight forcing the weight on the shoulders (not good) so it's best to try the pack on before purchasing and make sure the return policy is acceptable, once home put 30lbs in it and check for comfort.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back