Blood type and Corona virus

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From the news today...

“People with blood type A might be more vulnerable to the coronavirus, while those with type O blood could be more resistant, according to a new preliminary study from China.

Researchers studying COVID-19 in its outbreak epicenter, Wuhan, and the city of Shenzhen found the proportion of Type-A patients both infected and killed by the disease to be “significantly” higher than those with the same blood type in the general public.

Type O patients, meanwhile, made up a smaller proportion of both those infected and killed by the virus.”

It goes on to say that having type A does not ensure you will contract it and having O does not mean you won’t. While I am an O negative, I certainly will still take every precaution!

I wondered about that, thanks. I'm O- too and would give blood often if they paid me. It bothers me that they sell our blood (universal donor) for over $500 a pint and think we should just donate it. The Red Cross makes over $2B a year on donated blood. I hate greed. Am I being an A hole?

I'm O neg also. I used to go and donate since 1993 and they were always glad to see me. Did not have a problem with them making so much money, it is like giving to a homeless person. What they do with it now is not my problem. I gave in good terms, it is theirs now, no longer mine...
The problem with going after a while was, I found out that they docs and nurses only change the rubber gloves about every 10 donors. WHAAAA? You are quite protected, but what are you passing on to all the other donors after the first one was MAYBE SICK??? Thanks but no thanks. Try that now with the virus running around...GP

I'm O neg also. I used to go and donate since 1993 and they were always glad to see me. Did not have a problem with them making so much money, it is like giving to a homeless person. What they do with it now is not my problem. I gave in good terms, it is theirs now, no longer mine...
The problem with going after a while was, I found out that they docs and nurses only change the rubber gloves about every 10 donors. WHAAAA? You are quite protected, but what are you passing on to all the other donors after the first one was MAYBE SICK??? Thanks but no thanks. Try that now with the virus running around...GP

Much like you GaR, I give blood to do what small part I can to help save lives. My hope is that someday when I need blood, someone will give it to me. The money part has nothing to do with me. Surely it costs money to collect blood, buy equipment, pay workers, rent or buy buildings, pay advertising of where to donate...and the list goes on. I don’t have those figures, so I don’t fret.

Would be glad to donate to anyone. I have a organ donor card in my wallet. I also am registered with the bone marrow transplantion office here in Germany. Could donate to help save a leukemia patient anywhere in the world. Glad to help, but do NOT want to catch anything from someone just for the cost of a bloody pair of gloves...GP

O-,here too, now you can't just pop in to donate a pint,appointment only,did check;here they change gloves every time,all the time,two times they sent a taxi for me,no problems,it was urgent..

I have type B+ blood. They are always saying my type is needed but I nearly pass out every time I donate blood so I don't do it anymore.

Latest posts

Back