Article of problems of Evacing a city

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent Earth

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/28/why-didnt-houston-evacuate-before-harvey-hit.html
Interesting commentary about evacing large US cities

As thousands of Houston residents found themselves stranded on rooftops and wading through apocalyptic floodwaters, questions have arisen as to why Mayor Sylvester Turner didn’t order a mandatory evacuation as Harvey bore down in the nation's fourth-largest city.

To evacuate a large urban space – millions call this sprawling metropolis home – would be logistically challenging, according to local officials and residents. Turner called it impossible.

“You literally cannot put 6.5 million people on the road,” Turner, a Democrat, said in a press conference. “If you think the situation right now is bad, you give an order to evacuate, you are creating a nightmare.”

1503925620999.jpg
Expand / Collapse
Texas National Guard soldiers aid stranded residents in heavily flooded areas of Houston, Texas, Aug. 27, 2017. (Reuters)

Residents of New Orleans who lived through Hurricane Katrina recall Mayor Ray Nagin ordering the first-ever mandatory evacuation of that low-lying city on the morning of Aug. 28, 2005, which was only one day before it made landfall on the Louisiana coast.

Still, his belated order was later denounced, since more than 100,000 Orleanians don’t own cars, the city’s mass transit is basically nonexistent, FEMA couldn’t get access to the buses it needed and thousands were forced to fend for themselves in the over-crowded Superdome.

Houston resident Kamerra Franklin, who was in the city when Hurricane Rita hit in 2005, said on Twitter that it’s not so easy to evacuate a big city. More than 100 people ultimately died while fleeing Rita, which ended up causing $12 billion in damage across several states.

1503932114390.jpg
Expand / Collapse
Thousands of cars try to evacuate to Dallas in advance of Hurricane Rita in north Houston September 22, 2005. (REUTERS/Carlos Barria)

“We TRIED to evacuate ahead of Hurricane Rita...which was supposed to be a direct hit to Houston shortly after Katrina,” Franklin wrote on Twitter, while noting that the freeway she was stuck on 12 years ago was totally underwater post-Harvey. “Anyway, I got to sit on a freeway for 23 hours. 23 HOURS!!!! 23 hours to get from Houston to San Antonio, where we evacuated. It usually takes 3-4.”

More than 6,000 calls for rescue have been logged by Houston’s police and fire departments, and the city is already providing 30,000 with temporary shelter – numbers that will increase as the deluge of rain continues.

“If we wanted to call an evacuation, we wouldn't even know where to call it,” Harris County Judge Edward Emmett, who is responsible for overseeing emergency operations, said Friday at a press conference, “because we don't know where the rain's going to fall and which watersheds are going to be affected. So there is absolutely no reason to evacuate from Houston or the greater Houston area.”

However, Gov. Greg Abbott, a Republican, suggested that residents should leave Houston during his news conference on Friday. “Even if an evacuation order hasn’t been issued by your local official, if you’re in an area between Corpus Christi and Houston, you need to strongly consider evacuating.”

Retired Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honorè, who led the Department of Defense response to hurricanes Katrina and Rita, told the Wall Street Journal that experience has made officials wary of ordering an evacuation.

1503925530047.jpg
Expand / Collapse
An abandoned vehicle sits in flood waters on the I-10 highway in Houston, Texas, Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017. (AP)

“I’m not trying to be critical of the mayor and history will prove whether they guessed right or they guessed wrong,” he said. “But I do not believe we should leave people in [a] place we know is going to flood. It’s counterintuitive.”

My issue with this is that if the governor called for an evacuation on Friday, he was 2 or 3 days late already. At least 2 or 3 days. Probably more, the more I think about it. They're damned either way - if they had called for an evacuation and it had turned another direction, they were idiots. Since they didn't and it didn't turn, they're idiots.

I still think that doing it on Friday would've been a bad bad move.....

Agreed, it was already too late. If I lived there I probably would not have left either. Overreacting every time there's a storm doesn't make a lot of sense. One good thing about being a prepper at least is having some supplies and more importantly having some knowledge of how to survive a disaster. Sometimes life will have unexpected problems, keeping your whits about you during them is the best you can do. All I am certain of is I hope to never be a stranded person in a government shelter, dependent on our officials for every need.

The window for a mass evacuation had already closed by the time the decision was made. Evacuating that many people in such little time would cause more harm then good. Living in south Florida I would rather hunker down and rely on my preps rather then heading north into a bottleneck of millions of cars on the road.

I think the whole issue of bugging Out / In needs to be visited in depth, with a lot less generalisation and a lot more individual bespoke planning discussed by us all.

Yes that would be a good idea SE!

We had a situation I posted here last year regarding all the bug out locations being cut off by forest fires at the same time something I didn't count on in all these years leaving very little options if We had to evac the property, not a good situation in normal times much less post-shtf and we still haven't worked out a workable plan. The possible 'what-if' is what's choking our work around plan, folks in Southern Texas now have to take into account floods of this magnitude as I need to take into account forest fires endangering and blocking access to all my BOLs at the same time, as one takes into account the possible what-ifs the planning becomes painful.

and-they-said-i-was-crazy.jpg

We had a situation I posted here last year regarding all the bug out locations being cut off by forest fires at the same time something I didn't count on in all these years leaving very little options if We had to evac the property, not a good situation in normal times much less post-shtf and we still haven't worked out a workable plan. The possible 'what-if' is what's choking our work around plan, folks in Southern Texas now have to take into account floods of this magnitude as I need to take into account forest fires endangering and blocking access to all my BOLs at the same time, as one takes into account the possible what-ifs the planning becomes painful.

Yup just like here I have 4 roads heading away from here all proper NSEW facing I thought I was in hog heaven until all 4 flooded about 3 years ago, and in 2010 neither my 4x4 or my van could get out of here for 10 days during the ice storm.

I think our default settings are going to move more towards bugging IN and my BOBs adapted to GHB role. But if I did not live 289 feet above sea level on a hill top I think any future moved would have to be a property either on stilts, or elevated some how or live in a second floor apartment.

political-pictures-proof.jpg

Mav did you ever see the pictures of some Aussie dude survivalist who lived where all the trees were explosively flammable Eucalyptus trees, he had a 4x4 ute it looked like a Toyota FJ and he had a very large metal trailer with three IBC containers full of water, the tanks were connected to a sprinkler system ran by a 12 volt pump that sprayed over both the FJ and the trailer itself.

Another dude built a storm shelter underground and a prefab concrete large pond / pool over the top with a powerful fountain system that blow quites an unbrella shaped spray over itself for hours.

Mav did you ever see the pictures of some Aussie dude survivalist who lived where all the trees were explosively flammable Eucalyptus trees, he had a 4x4 ute it looked like a Toyota FJ and he had a very large metal trailer with three IBC containers full of water, the tanks were connected to a sprinkler system ran by a 12 volt pump that sprayed over both the FJ and the trailer itself.

Another dude built a storm shelter underground and a prefab concrete large pond / pool over the top with a powerful fountain system that blow quites an unbrella shaped spray over itself for hours.

No, I haven't seen them. I use what is called a center pivot (self propelled) we tapped in to the well and use it to saturates the grounds between the house and the fire breaks we cut around the property when the fire starts getting close. The primary concern is when smoke settles over the property making it very difficult to breath this is the biggest problem and danger.

here is the problem,,,,this would have had to been done a week in advance and still hundred of thousands still would have waited until the last minute,,,,people are idiots about some things

You can say that again...and sometimes the politicians that are in office are even bigger idiots than the people they are supposed to lead.

I've heard some people say that there was plenty of notice and people should have evacuated a week or two sooner. Except for government "workers" and other people on welfare, who can afford to leave their jobs for a couple weeks everytime there's a storm forcasted?

I've heard some people say that there was plenty of notice and people should have evacuated a week or two sooner. Except for government "workers" and other people on welfare, who can afford to leave their jobs for a couple weeks everytime there's a storm forcasted?
The evacuations began when? Sunday? One week before that, the 20th, Harvey had dissipated off the coast of Columbia and they stopped tracking it. They didn't start tracking it again until Wednesday, the 23rd at which point it was a Tropical Depression off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula in Southern Mexico.

Latest posts

Back