Ventilator vs C / BPAP

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Had a thought. Any medical folks care to comment... What are the major differences between a ventilator and a CPAP or BPAP.

C/B PAPs are for sleeping. CPAP just provides constant positive pressure, which could help someone with CoVid19? A BPAP is a 'smart CPAP', it raises & lowers pressure, it senses when you are breathing out. So I would suspect it's a better option.

I know a ventilator can take auxiliary oxygen & mix that. But you can do that with an oxygen generator+C/BPAP. A ventilator has lots of other bells/whistles, but which of these are really needed?

Or, to put bluntly, let's say I get CoVid19 and stay home but struggle to breath. I've got access to a BPAP & Oxy generator. Put to two together, and it's a whole lot better than nothing. Can anyone comment on 'how much better' vs a ventilator? 50%? 90%? Which bells/whistles are key that are lacking, and any suggestions on how to work around them. No need to alert the nurse's station... what else?

Had a thought. Any medical folks care to comment... What are the major differences between a ventilator and a CPAP or BPAP.

C/B PAPs are for sleeping. CPAP just provides constant positive pressure, which could help someone with CoVid19? A BPAP is a 'smart CPAP', it raises & lowers pressure, it senses when you are breathing out. So I would suspect it's a better option.

I know a ventilator can take auxiliary oxygen & mix that. But you can do that with an oxygen generator+C/BPAP. A ventilator has lots of other bells/whistles, but which of these are really needed?

Or, to put bluntly, let's say I get CoVid19 and stay home but struggle to breath. I've got access to a BPAP & Oxy generator. Put to two together, and it's a whole lot better than nothing. Can anyone comment on 'how much better' vs a ventilator? 50%? 90%? Which bells/whistles are key that are lacking, and any suggestions on how to work around them. No need to alert the nurse's station... what else?

Not a medical professional, but that sounds like great out of the box thinking!! The sort of thing that can save lives.

C/Bpap are assistive breathing devices where as the vent actually breathes for you. I think the Bpap would be the better option but it still is different from the ventilator.
A ventilator can also be hooked up to a trach. I know my grandmother had a set up like that in the ICU after she has a stroke.

Latest posts

Back