This weeks preps check-in

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Im throwing out a challenge to everyone to post what they do for prepping. I know time and money can limit what people can get done. Even one thing a week, no matter how small gets you one step closer to your goals. Over the next year this should be a huge thread and all of us should have 50 projects done.

This week my son and I picked up 700 223 brass and 800 40cal brass to reload. Cost was nothing but an hours time. Now the work starts to prepare it to reload and locate bullets.

What have you accomplished this week?

A ton of work in the gardens for starters. Made some cheese last night and I'll be waxing it when it's ready. Marked which trees will come down for future firewood and posts in a couple of weeks. Helped Hubs tear down an outbuilding for the lumber and hardware to add onto our chicken/rabbit houses so we can do meat birds a little more easily. Worked more with the filly, made sure the mare she's out of is leaving in August, the filly should make a good using horse. Dehydrated 20 pounds of potato slices.

I suppose that counts as preps, it's how we live our lives and how we intend to continue living them.

Garden work and cleared out some privet hedge next to the chicken run ,planning an add on run/pen for quail ( raising quail ,still in planning phase) . Added shelving in pantry , wife continues organizing food stores. Purchased pvc/ supplies for drilling shallow water wells on back of property.(www.drillyourownwell.com). And of course the yearly hurricane prepping is just starting .

Purchased pvc/ supplies for drilling shallow water wells on back of property.(www.drillyourownwell.com). And of course the yearly hurricane prepping is just starting .

Let me know how that goes. I have studied that web site for hours and am planning on putting in a well that same way. I am looking for a hand well pump. Any suggestions on how it works would be great!

Let me know how that goes. I have studied that web site for hours and am planning on putting in a well that same way. I am looking for a hand well pump. Any suggestions on how it works would be great!
Yea that dude has a great site, For now planning to cap the well and occasionally use a gas powered pump, still looking into hand pumps .

WOW!!! I feel like such a slacker, all Ive done is mow the yard and take the family to the lake and played on the jet skis. I guess I need to get busy.....I at least watched on old episode of Doomsday Preppers, if that counts for anything.

WOW!!! I feel like such a slacker, all Ive done is mow the yard and take the family to the lake and played on the jet skis. I guess I need to get busy.....I at least watched on old episode of Doomsday Preppers, if that counts for anything.
Prepping can take a break while you enjoy life with your family..Period

Lord knows I'm due a break! Thanks for all the support. It really means a lot to me. Thank you all.

Had second interview for a job that, if I get it, will bring a 20k raise. That xtra cash would help with preps.
Good luck with that! I am sure you will get it!

i havent done any thing so far this week...but now with mom out of the house untill monday at the latest..i can go through my stuff onenling to see what i have n dont have for prepping.and maybe add stuff to it,when it comes to what i already have..and i can now take my time in doing so..

Bought solar lights and a manual 20 ton log splitter today for my bug out location. Im going manual for everything I possibly can if we loose electricity and the earth goes dark so hopefully I'll be ok if it does.

Ok . . .so far this week, have put up jars of peas, green beans, carrots, and mustard greens. For the freezer, blanched cauliflower. A local store had chicken on sale for 49 cents a pound so bought 20 lbs (my limit). Cooked and deboned, canned chicken and broth. Started milking another goat. Also started picking my red and russet potatoes from the garden.

Ok . . .so far this week, have put up jars of peas, green beans, carrots, and mustard greens. For the freezer, blanched cauliflower. A local store had chicken on sale for 49 cents a pound so bought 20 lbs (my limit). Cooked and deboned, canned chicken and broth. Started milking another goat. Also started picking my red and russet potatoes from the garden.

In WI we havent even tilled the garden for the first time yet. Still had frost last night....

I staked out local elevations, I know loose lips sink ships for civil defence purposes for emergency situations I geuss it doesn't matter much, for communications purposes as well I came across some useful items on the way, for some reason there is something up here prepping up forest fire potentials can't go into detail none the less I liberated some odd bricks that seemed to be there to act to increase the heat of the fire prepping area, not totally sure on it, it might look just like a dump but all the elements of a point of flame start and intense here were there, the cinderblocks, charcoal, prior burnt logs, old tinder wood chunks a metal backing. Now it could be used as an emergency fire but this is also fire season starting up, I've run across a handful of potential bush fire starting points, which can be used defensively to back blast counter wave a forest fire, but just leaving it out there seems like it is asking for trouble, its also in the area of a vandalized pipeline that has had some peculiar things around it. None the less it may just be coincidence but I liberated an alice pack full of foot long cinderblocks, which I am planning on useing to add some reinforcement to a support frame I'm making for a building here that i need to remove the cement block foundation on one wall for... I figure the cinder blocks can be used to gap fill for when I tear down the front wall and rebuild it, have lots of projects on it but Ive been collecting stones very haphazardly for uses only a few large ones but these blocks could also be useful especially for a small earth topped kiln.

None the less I'm trying to find good local and DX communication points so I've been testing some local points for reception. I hope to start testing for reception over sometime next month.

Also devised my water system for the summer.
digging in to gardening, and checking local plant growth

I have a few other things but nothing too notable.

Still waiting on my PAL to come through.. not overly optimistic I'll get it but I'd like it in time for my hike this summer probably late june or july it isn't anywhere near any emergency services so I am totally on my own up there while there are bears and moose, its the wolves I'm most concerned about as I can take a crossbow to defend against moose or bear but there may be too many wolves to take on with a 180lb crossbow I need to draw by hand. As I'd like to pick an SKS, M14 or shotgun up. SKS is most likely because it is only $75 and it will be great I think for defending against wolves which is my breaking point motivation for actually putting out the $60 to apply for my 5 year license. (of course the gun, 1000 rounds and some gun upkeep stuff will probably run me $400 or so, still this is good for the rounds plus the gun which 1000 rounds will probably last me a few years atleast) I still feel like I'm not going to get it. I have like 2 or 3 background checks running right now for different purposes atleast by various police organizations. :) I'm weird and a loner. I was also charged with mischeif after applying..., ,charges pretty much immediately dropped on the ride to the station, for trying to stop the municipality from draining out my frontage which I wanted for water for gardening the noise also woke me up and they didn't even ask in advance or give notice, I also have a prohibition notice regarding trespass on all municipal staff (which I've expanded to all federal and provincial employees contractors and agents, obviously for non emergency or legally related purposes (it was a lot of water and I have no water hookup I use rain water or I can filter river or lake water and a few other sources). they showed up the day after to dig up my asphault driveway access to the road...

I'm probably the last person in this area they would want to give a gun but maybe I'm wrong... none the less heard gunfire today and ran across the ranges look for the year. more gun fire ... just now.. using semiautos probably more 30 cals. It makes me want to pick up ballistic steel or carbon plate and a carrier as I'm feeling like my cermanic vest and kevlar won't hold up much against the 30-06, 30-30 and like as the stuff is cutting through a freaken fridge front and back and continuing. It would probably clear my 3A steel pasgt helmet no prob maybe not none the less... doing things illegal you dont need to probably doesn't increase your survival chances, as the only thing worse than raiders and zombies is probably the government when there is no WROL or emergency situation on going trying to take you out. None the less I'll keep trying to figure ways to make primer and powder with local resources, as well as continue trying to get a very economical model for a sintering or 3d printer. I could probably make a gun in an emergency but I don't feel comfortable with being able to make ammo right now.. none the less I would only consider breaking gun laws up here in the event of governmental collapse and civil disorder or life and death situation the government could not adequettely respond to pro socio pro bono.

Just traded a Pelican 1750 long gun case that I never use for a Wise 120 serving entree bucket.

I think today my biggest prep was jogging with a molleII ruck full of bricks, as well as walking. I am going to try to keep loading the ruck up to harden myself a bit. It also makes running like a nonexistant feeling once the pack is off even without adrenaline block out, just cruising. I have also been planting a bit. My biggest happy moment was that the grapes I planted last year are still alive and starting to bud a little. I'm in a northern climate around 50 degrees north in a cold part of Ontario so I'm very happy the riparia has started growing a little bit.. when it gets its leaves I will be ecstatic. I also have started planting some cranberry seed for bushes, I know where there is wild cranberry up here, but these ones I think are different being a more southern variety, hopefully it will be ok cause this is maybe zone 1 maybe getting into zone 2 and the bush is zone 2-5.

I also had fun taking apart an old electric stove that I'd like to convert into a kiln/wood stove. I may find another use for the elements etc.. there are a lot of neat components in it, a timer, a fuse array a bunch of voltage actuated switches from the knobs, havn't totally figure out the kiln/wood stove yet but I figure it is already good for heat, there is a hole coming up that can be used as a point to attach some round duct pipe for a chimney, which could also help if I put square ducting around it to create warm air so it can act as a furnace by cycling an dcompressing the smoke if I can perhaps seal the round duct chimney with clay or something like that to prevent smoke seapage into the air heater.

I've also been really close to buying the 144 watt unisolar that comes out to about $315 with shipping and customs, but it is a little over buget for me until the 11th or so, and I don't need it now I could use it in the fall though, will have to wait I guess. The $90 shipping and handlng is a little high for me. But if I didn't have the two I have now I'd most definately pick it up..

Picked up 2 Ar-15 rifle cases with 14 30 round magazines for the son and myself. Got to one of my favorite bulk food stores. Wife and I spent about $50 on baking soda, powder, powdered buttermilk, 13 pounds of oatmeal and other goodies. Spent the afternoon putting away out new purchases. I then loaded 100 shotgun shells and cleaned a bunch of pistol brass. Overall a pretty productive day.

Back