Sprouts and microgreens

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiveTrap

Reaction score
City Prepper just put out a new Youtube video about growing sprouts and microgreens that seemed pretty interesting. Anyone doing this? It fills a gap for me, in that what do you eat when your food runs out, and you're waiting for your garden to produce.

I just filled my sprouting jars again today...8 qt sized with sunflower seed soaking. I brought in some greens from the greenhouse for inside, it's getting to be in the low teens at night. So at the moment I have buttercrunch lettuce, parsley, and russian kale inside. I cut and eat them in salad when they are small...microgreen sized. Pretty tasty. We feed our rabbits alot of greens, too that we keep going during the winter. The chickens and turkeys will be getting this batch of sunflower sprouts.

Much like Amish Heart said above, the greens work well in the winter for chickens and rabbits. I’ve been sprouting sunflower seeds, wheat and various greens for a few months now. Works really well in trays. Amazing how fast the greens sprout! Be careful of mold though! Lots of videos and instructions out there.

I've seen flats of wheat grass sold in higher end feed stores and plant nurseries for $15 a flat for chicken food. Just used a handful of wheat to grow them, which costs a nickle or so. I have a wheat grass grinder to make wheat grass juice, which one of our daughters love, but I think is nasty. I do believe at a juicing bar I saw about 2 ounces of wheat grass juice sold as a "shot" for $4. I've done an easy sprout bucket method with wheat berries for chickens...soak and rinse in a 5 gallon bucket. Wheat is cheap and grown in my area. Sunflower, too.

I've seen flats of wheat grass sold in higher end feed stores and plant nurseries for $15 a flat for chicken food. Just used a handful of wheat to grow them, which costs a nickle or so. I have a wheat grass grinder to make wheat grass juice, which one of our daughters love, but I think is nasty. I do believe at a juicing bar I saw about 2 ounces of wheat grass juice sold as a "shot" for $4. I've done an easy sprout bucket method with wheat berries for chickens...soak and rinse in a 5 gallon bucket. Wheat is cheap and grown in my area. Sunflower, too.
I was going to mention wheat grass. I found that untreated hard red winter wheat that we bought for deer food plots grew like crazy anywhere. It even sprouted in the bag. I used it on some bare spots in the yard as winter cover. Places where no grass would grow, even in a "fairy ring" around a big oak tree. We sow it on roads and levees for erosion control. I don't know what it's going for now, but it used to be really really inexpensive.

I can get a 50 lb bag pretty cheap, and we did the same for a grass like look. The chickens and rabbits liked it anyway. Even grew in garbage sandy soil in New Mexico.

Back