Redbone Coonhound

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son has been offered a Redbone Coonhound pup. Her dad is a 2016 World Champ in some type competition. Dont know about the mom yet.

Anyone have any experience with the breed. They are beautiful. I need a breed that would be good with my son and from what I've read, she should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to do more research. Hounds are notorious for being a working dog. A dog that chases coons up a tree without human help. They have an oily coat (translate: stink or bath frequently). Coonhounds are well known to be independent, but I just saw something describing them as 'companion animals'? They are energetic, affectionate, and independent. Champion titles don't mean anything unless you're planning to compete. At least this breed isn't a big drooler. Are traits like 'fast', 'active', and 'surefooted' important to you? Oh, and they do like to sing... got a karaoke machine with 'howl to the moon'?

You may want to do more research. Hounds are notorious for being a working dog. A dog that chases coons up a tree without human help. They have an oily coat (translate: stink or bath frequently). Coonhounds are well known to be independent, but I just saw something describing them as 'companion animals'? They are energetic, affectionate, and independent. Champion titles don't mean anything unless you're planning to compete. At least this breed isn't a big drooler. Are traits like 'fast', 'active', and 'surefooted' important to you? Oh, and they do like to sing... got a karaoke machine with 'howl to the moon'?

Thanks. I was all prepared to go dogless after my two die then my husband drops this. We have been partial to the retriever breeds. Goldens, Labs, now a Lab Pyrenees (sp) mix. They are great companion dogs and don't require constant attention. My daughter was gifted an Australian Shepherd mix which ended up with me. Talk about a pain. Then she does something heroic and I decide I like her.

Thanks. I was all prepared to go dogless after my two die then my husband drops this. We have been partial to the retriever breeds. Goldens, Labs, now a Lab Pyrenees (sp) mix. They are great companion dogs and don't require constant attention. My daughter was gifted an Australian Shepherd mix which ended up with me. Talk about a pain. Then she does something heroic and I decide I like her.

Hahah I said I wouldn’t get another dog after my schnauzer passed and then a damn little chihuahua-min pin-Bambi-chupacabra mix chased my car for a mile until I let him in

Attachments

• 0C4E8C2E-5A6B-431D-AF61-10AF955D3604.jpeg
    0C4E8C2E-5A6B-431D-AF61-10AF955D3604.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 4
My experiences with hounds as pets has been good. My kids when little had a pair of basset hounds that were great as family pets. Then later we had a blood hound. The blood hound truthfully was hard to keep home wanted to wander off after every deer/coon/cat that crossed the property. Very high energy animal. Have you thought about getting a trained service animal. My middle son has severe military related PTSD. He has a trained service dog that is amazing. When he has "episodes" the dog can calm him down faster than anything.

My experiences with hounds as pets has been good. My kids when little had a pair of basset hounds that were great as family pets. Then later we had a blood hound. The blood hound truthfully was hard to keep home wanted to wander off after every deer/coon/cat that crossed the property. Very high energy animal. Have you thought about getting a trained service animal. My middle son has severe military related PTSD. He has a trained service dog that is amazing. When he has "episodes" the dog can calm him down faster than anything.

We don't need a trained dog. I just want one that isn't high maintenance and is gentle.

Latest posts

Back