Proctoclysis-Rectal Rehydration

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc pops

Reaction score
There may be a time in your/our future that a family, friend, or team members may need rehydration. This could be from medical or trauma so oral may work, IV will work for sure. Let's say your patient can't keep any thing down orally, or your trauma patient is hypotensive and access to veins is not possible or no IV fluids available.
There is Protoclysis (rectal rehydration), this was the method of choice for a long time. First sterile fluids are not necessary, if you can drink it you can use it!

Items needed are 2qts/500ml water, salt, enema bag, soap or alcohol gel.

There are other methods using catheter or nasogastric tubing. For this discussion we will use what is the easiest for us to find. Warm water to approximately body temp add salt, now place in enema bag and follow directions on package. You may place patient on left side or have patient on hands and knee's. The patient needs to stay in this position for 20-30 minutes to allow absorption before they void.
Hope this helps, and is another tool in your medical tool box.

Good luck, be safe, and God bless

Well if it is a small hose and you lube it up, fill it slow and up to 2qts/500ml. If you could get them hold still, yup it would work.

I learned how to do this years ago. If using means other than the enema kit, It has to get several inches inside to get past the sphincter. Its a slow process I've never had to use.

Warriorhealer22, you are correct twenty to thirty minutes. And incert 10-20 cm. This is a slow process, it is however an effective procedure. I hope that what ever I or any one else put on here will be a starting point to learn more now while the net is up. This is info to build on.

Good luck, be safe, and God bless!

one never knows what you have to use in emergency,perhaps they teach this method also during my time at medic school,if not at least I know of it.

There may be a time in your/our future that a family, friend, or team members may need rehydration. This could be from medical or trauma so oral may work, IV will work for sure. Let's say your patient can't keep any thing down orally, or your trauma patient is hypotensive and access to veins is not possible or no IV fluids available.
There is Protoclysis (rectal rehydration), this was the method of choice for a long time. First sterile fluids are not necessary, if you can drink it you can use it!

Items needed are 2qts/500ml water, salt, enema bag, soap or alcohol gel.

There are other methods using catheter or nasogastric tubing. For this discussion we will use what is the easiest for us to find. Warm water to approximately body temp add salt, now place in enema bag and follow directions on package. You may place patient on left side or have patient on hands and knee's. The patient needs to stay in this position for 20-30 minutes to allow absorption before they void.
Hope this helps, and is another tool in your medical tool box.

Good luck, be safe, and God bless
You're going to put what where?. Seriously, good info, and something most don't know about these days.

well,did read about this kind of thing when in school and having history, when the mayans couldn't drink any more alcohol the usual way, they had their servants put it in the other way...and you're supposedly getting more drunk than ever ;)
most likely your hangover will be astronomical also...

Latest posts

Back