Prepping: Where to begin, and how do I consider everything?

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gazrok

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Years ago, I asked these same questions, and whenever I talk to someone new to the idea, I hear these questions again, so just throwing it out there, as to how I addressed them.

First, the key is to CATEGORIZE.... There are no right or wrong ways to prep, just what works for you, but to really know where to begin or be sure you're considering everything important to YOU, you need to categorize things.

The following are for ANY kind of prep, whether short-term (days or weeks) or long-term:

WATER
Simply put, 3 days without it, and we die. So, this is first on the list. The key here is to have a REPLENISH-ABLE source of some kind, whether a freshwater source (river/lake/pond/rain), or a more civilized option like a well (but with a manual way to get to the water!). You can store a lot of it, but if you don't have a source, then eventually you will run out. Even with a well, we still store water also...and not just for drinking, but washing/gardening too.

FOOD
3 weeks without it, and we die, but in far less time, we'll feel the effects. Again, REPLENISH-ABLE is the key. For fruits and vegetables, having a garden/grove is helpful, and for meat, having the ability to hunt/fish is useful (even if critters you wouldn't normally consider as normal food). For example, snakes, birds, possums, frogs are plentiful here, so not eating them in an emergency is just ignoring a great source of protein. However, there are plenty of things one can store too, especially items that make the grown stuff and hunted items more palatable, like spices, rice, pasta, etc.

PROTECTION
Simply put, an emergency can bring out the worst in people, and you're going to need to protect you and yours from your fellow men, when folks get desperate. Just look at things that happened during the LA Riots or Katrina to see how quickly order can break down. For this reason, firearms are a must, and this includes knowing how to use them properly, safely, and reflexively. Other protection means include location (being rural vs. urban), and fences, along with open ground (to make any invaders slow and easy targets).

LIGHTING/FIRE
While not really a need, in the absence of power, it becomes a bit more pressing, for defense, hunting, and just quality of life. Folks should have some kind of alternative lighting method for each used room of the home. Personally, I opt for oil lamps, because you can control the light level, they are quiet, safe, and relatively long-lasting. Plus, in normal times, they are decorative, and ready in place when needed. Flashlights with batteries are a common option, and great for a short-term disaster. As most other options all depend on fire (as well as being needed for most cooking options), having different ways to start one is also a big part of preps.

Next, we get into longer-term preps, for an emergency lasting months, years, or indefinitely.

MEDICINE/MEDICAL DEVICES
While a stockpile is nice, again REPLENISH-ABLE is the key. Growing medicinal herbs is easy, even for blackthumbs, and there are lots of sources available for knowing what to grow and how to use it, along with herbal recipes. Obviously, modern medicine options are preferred, but when not available, something is better than nothing. This includes having medical knowledge available as well, but that will be a different item.

POWER/FUEL

Eventually, there will be some items that while you could live without, would make life easier. There are LOTS of options here, and most preppers use a combination of solutions depending on their needs, budget, and conditions. For example, in FL, we don't worry about heating, but up north, this is a major concern. Wood is a long-used fuel source, but there is also lamp oil, kerosene, generators and fuel, as well as solar and wind power. Diesel engines can even be adapted to use bio fuel. Batteries are another option, especially for small electronics. This includes fuel needed to cook food as well.

TOOLS/MATERIALS
Things break, and new things will need to be built. If the grid is down, your power saw or drill isn't going to do much good, so will need manual versions of these. In addition, lumber, concrete, nails, screws, etc. will all be needed to make repairs and build new items that may be needed. This includes any parts for devices you may be using or need.

CLOTHES
Something often overlooked, but clothes wear out. Shoes especially. For most of us, we could probably go a while on what we have, but longer term, may become an issue. We're personally looking at getting an old school foot pedal sewing machine. First, they are beautiful antique pieces, but second, they could be very useful (and to be honest, seem to be just as easy to use as modern versions).

KNOWLEDGE
Probably the most important. First-hand knowledge and experience is best, for all things, but having actual books is another good option. In addition, there are solar-powered readers that work well for archived data, but personally, I'm a fan of actual real books, papers, etc.

I'm sure others can add to these, but thought this was a good starting point.

Footwear is something many people forget I think, and hands up all those who know how to make a pair of boots.

Personally I plan to also get my feet back to being hard enough not to worry too much about shoes, as they used to be before I got civilised.

It's true. Amazing how adaptive our feet are. As a kid, I would roam a lot without shoes, and never had an issue with it. No reason it would be impossible to do again. I'm not skilled in making them, but I know enough leather craft to typically make a repair. We're slowly but surely getting better at our leather skills.

Around in North Texas because of the four year drought, we have grown to respect the resource of water. Similar to California, we have begun to conserve water, enacted laws for those who misuse it and those who have the prepper mentality or believe that the above water source will run out, have invested in rain catching devices, storage tanks and drilled wells. It doesn't take long to see in local sub-divisions, those that have begun to think out of the box, to maximize the potential for rain run-off, people who never had their homes completely guttered, have begun to do so. Being a former Yankee, gutters are almost a must have in the North, so when we move into our new home, I had a seamless gutter company install it around our home, it was pretty easy then for our rain storage company just to redirect the slant of the gutters toward our rain catching apparatus. I'd recommend people that are considering a BOL site invest in several round 1500 gallon containers with insect barrier devices and the appropriate PVC to provide potable water.

Additionally, if your a do it yourselfer, I recommend a book called: Peak Oil Survival: Preparation for Life after Gridcrash by Aric McBray by Lyon Press. It has useful plans on how to make your BOL or home more off-grid sufficient. One of the best plans is how to build a water purifier system for your rain water or water source.

well,I'm not shure if can make a pair but I do know how to repair them,used to be a cobbler/shoemaker before my present job and every pair I buy seems to be mil-issue combat boots, use flip-flops only when on vacation,
a pair of moccasins like praire-indians made are though fairly simple to make

used to be a cobbler/shoemaker before my present job
Ha ha, well you're one up on most of us then that's for sure. I think I'll just have to have 10 spare pairs, and as I said get my feet hard again.

In Oz it seems that drought is the norm, a few years ago some towns were on the brink of having to ship water in with trucks. I pay little attention to rules but I think it's still not allowed to collect water for drinking, at least in the cities. In the bush of course there is no real choice unless you can sink a bore. We do collect water from the roof of the motorhome but mostly we've been living off trucked-in water for a couple of years now, it's not a big deal as one truck load will last us about 18 months and only costs $240, but when I get my roof on the containers built (very soon) we should be independent. We now have two tanks (16,000 gals) so once they are full we are good even if it doesn't rain for over 8 years at our current usage :)

Another thing that's common in Oz are so-called "first flush" systems, these take the first 1mm or so of rain and dump it so you don't get all the crap off the roof in your tank.

As for filtering, for years we've used a 20-micron sediment filter for most things and follow that with a .5-micron carbon/silver filter for drinking. That's worked well but I may add another level when I do the plumbing for the container house, maybe UV or RO (reverse osmosis).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back