Newbie from SE Ohio

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Altani

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm new to prepping but not exactly starting out with nothing. My hubby and I are medieval re-creationists. As a result, we know about and possess a lot of non-technological skills and items that can be useful. I admit though, I have a lot to learn! I'm a researcher by nature so I've already been digging on this a bit but I thought it would be excellent to get to know people so that I can not only learn a thing or two but also make a few friends with similar interests and goals.
I know I have a lot of work ahead of me! We are not financially well off and we rent a not-so-sturdy place that cannot be modified. Luckily we have friends though who are also looking at prepping lately.
I've known the world was screwed up for a while but I was naive in the idea that I could do something about it. I nearly have my BA in Anthropology/Sociology because I believed I could make changes. Once I realized that even the academic game was rigged, that's when I stopped, had to think about where I was going, and realized the best idea was to get ready. I will continue to try to help others and finish the degree in hopes that maybe I can help a few but I no longer believe that I can change the world or the corrupt systems that run it.
I'm looking forward to learning and making friends during my journey to keep myself and my family/friend safe. (Those I would protect and work with would be my sister, her husband and two kids, and a VERY dependable close friend who has been tested time and again in stressful situations to be loyal) See you around the forums!

welcome to the forum and family..it's great that you have a such of a great friend that you can relay on,as well as a sister..there's lots of people here who know what thier doing and saying..and one thing they'll tell ya.is each and every person has thier own situation(s) need(s) wants ect ect ..in which you can learn from them.pluse there's all the diffrent topics in which you can learn from as well..so pick n choose what your needs are for your self family n friend..and then start stocking up on the diffrent needs.first things at least some here will tell ya..food and water first.and then there's weapons.everyone has thier prefrences in weapons.recently i built a set shelves for canned n dry foods..in the next month or 2.i'll be building another set of shelves..these's ones will hold more then the first set..i need to figure out a good location to store water.then build what i need for it..

I agree with the food and water thing. We have some stored cans of food but we really need to set up a water plan. I was looking at getting a filtration system just for our long camping trips anyway. Not a fan of the bleach idea since I'm allergic to bleach. Already have started delving into the forums and there's some great info here!
As to weapons, we don't have many modern weapons. We've talked about getting some guns but we often don't have much in the way of money. We do have two bows (a hungarian horse bow and a re-curve), axes, swords, mace and a few other medieval style goodies. I'm thinking we may look into getting some guns maybe this fall. I'm emphasizing heavily the getting out of debt thing right now. My friend though does have several guns. I need to learn how to use one but my hubby, who is far more useful and well traveled than I in such SHTF situations, does know how. I'm working on it though. I did skin and eat my first rabbit recently.
One of the biggest concerns for me is that I rent my home. It's not sturdy in any way. It's an old mobile home with an added on room. I am VERY paranoid (almost to a phobia which it was and I'm starting to get better) about Tornadoes so this is a big area of worry for me. I leave the radar on all the time when a storm approaches and know how to read the sky. Our friend lives close but with his older parents. If SHTF before we are ready, we would probably go there since he has weapons, owns the property so he can modify, and he has resources that we don't. My sister lives about 30 minutes away so depending on the SHTF situation, she may be on her own but we would include her if there was time.
I'm thinking water storage will probably be in 2 liter bottles. We also have access to free big white barrels from a local dairy farm but not sure if those would be safe because of the chemicals inside. Gonna have to research that.

the 55 gallon barrels for water are a fav to some.any thing that had milk in it,dont use simply because milk leachs into plastic and ruiens the water...a water filtration system is great to have ..(just in case).also good idea to have a back up plan of some kind as well...the weapons the friend has.it is a good idea to learn at least 2 to 5 diff ones.that way,if it did become necicary.you'd have a wider chioce in weapons in which to defend your self if needed.one good way to stock up things are needed.is go to places like dollar genral-dollar tree yard sales,and with prepping in mind.if you some thing you like.ask your self.do i need this? and whats the long term need for it..once you have some/most things that are needed..look for things to barter with as well.make bug out bags for home and vehicles alike.that way you always have one hand for how ever you need to bug out.

Welcome Al ,great having you with us. I hope you meet your goals and I agree its hopeless trying to change the world. Just let her Tripp...but I'm not one to say I told you so...wait a minute ....yes I am. I can't wait to tell them.

G'day from Down Under - you will like this site, and appreciate the wealth of knowledge available to you.

Welcome to the forum Altani. What area are you in? I'm in Calontir myself, but I've not been active in years. I am assuming you are SCA, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm in the SCA. I'm in Midrealm. Fixing to go to my first Pennsic this year. :)

Welcome Altani. Hope we can learn from each other. This is great forum to be on.

Welcome to the family Altani!
Money is nice but certainly not the end-all in prepping. There are soooo many things you can do on limited funds!
Ask questions and jump on in!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Hello everyone!
I'm new to prepping but not exactly starting out with nothing. My hubby and I are medieval re-creationists. As a result, we know about and possess a lot of non-technological skills and items that can be useful. I admit though, I have a lot to learn! I'm a researcher by nature so I've already been digging on this a bit but I thought it would be excellent to get to know people so that I can not only learn a thing or two but also make a few friends with similar interests and goals.
I know I have a lot of work ahead of me! We are not financially well off and we rent a not-so-sturdy place that cannot be modified. Luckily we have friends though who are also looking at prepping lately.
I've known the world was screwed up for a while but I was naive in the idea that I could do something about it. I nearly have my BA in Anthropology/Sociology because I believed I could make changes. Once I realized that even the academic game was rigged, that's when I stopped, had to think about where I was going, and realized the best idea was to get ready. I will continue to try to help others and finish the degree in hopes that maybe I can help a few but I no longer believe that I can change the world or the corrupt systems that run it.
I'm looking forward to learning and making friends during my journey to keep myself and my family/friend safe. (Those I would protect and work with would be my sister, her husband and two kids, and a VERY dependable close friend who has been tested time and again in stressful situations to be loyal) See you around the forums!
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome from South La. Just jump in with both feet. We are like a big family here. We all help each other as much as we can. We like to joke, but we are serious when need be.

Latest posts

Back