Medicaid & College Tuition

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasFreedom

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I just had a wonderful thought. Follow me here...

Colleges are getting massive $$$ to pay their leftie professors big salaries coming mostly from student loans. And of course the left wants tuition to be 'free'.

Follow me here. If they want this crazy thing, how about we fund college tuition like we fund Medicaid? Many doctors will not take Medicaid patients because the gov't defines pricing, and their prices are so low that doctors can't keep their office running on those rates. For example, let's say a 'normal' price for an office visit is $150. And let's say the cost to the office by the time they pay rent/nurse salaries/insurance/doc's salary/etc, their cost is $100. Medicaid is structure to pay maybe $50 for an office visit. So as a consequence, most doctors will accept a few Medicaid patients as a 'charity' but limit it so they limit their losses.

Well, let's run college tuitions the same way. Stanford wants $30k/semester (I have no idea the real #), ok, gov't will pay them $15k period, and they have to accept it/the student. Let's squeeze these colleges just like they want to squeeze docs/hospitals.

Or even better. Gov't funded college student loans. Change the rules so gov't will only loan $5k per semester per student. And that has to cover the full tuition, the student cannot get money from other sources to cover the difference. Students can go to any college they want, but if they want a loan via the gov't, it will be $5k and the college will be req'd to accept it as payment in full. A college can choose to not accept gov't loans and raise their tuition, and good luck to them (just like Obama talked about closing down coal plants). Let these colleges & lefties suffer like they're trying to impose on everyone else, and let's see how well they work out.

I know, this is a pipe dream. But creative ideas like this can go a long way.

I like the idea but have a different approach. Make the tuition the same as the starting income for the graduate. Example: Starting salary for an B.A. in Art Appreciation is $30, 000 per year, so the degree can only cost $30,000. Value for value. You get what it is worth and the schools only get paid what it is worth. Want to be a whole bunch more value related programs are instituted and fewer worthless students will be attending. Win / Win.

UP,
I really like that. Let me clarify, you said 'starting salary'. How about we make that the median starting salary. Not min, not max, not average. Median starting salary of students from the previous (1-4 years) who graduated from that college.

MIT electrical engineering students might pay $70k for their degree. Ball State underwater basket weaving graduates only have to pay $6k for their degree! What a bargain! But I suspect the colleges won't be too motivated to be handing out those diplomas because they'll lose money on every one!

This will motivate colleges to produce highest-income graduates. If they want to do liberal art stuff, they can. They just better have fat-wallet private donations to cover the tuition shortfalls. Yup, win/win

Here's a "new" (old) idea. How about if someone wants to go to college they pay for it themselves? Again, I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for anyone's college education.

I agree but wanted to offer a different take on the free college concept. Would be fun to watch the carnage of the candidates debating over it. That is an affordable "Free" education.

UP, that was exactly my point. The candidates would never bring this up, but I'd love for a question from the audience to throw this grenade at them.

As a former member of Academe, my response to all this is
B72Zonl.gif

I made the argument a number of times that I could take a whiteboard, set it up on a hillside, have a bunch of students sit on the ground and and teach a class in just about any subject without even needing electricity, a building or a huge bureaucracy. (the huge bureaucracy is real reason for the expense)

And yes, I actually did teach class "on the grounds" on occasion.

Latest posts

Back