Lost in the woods, found dead. Another one.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandx

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
This happens a lot. I mean a lot more than it should. I have just done a tad bit of scanning on the net and found out that so many of these hikers are going solo, then get lost and are found dead. I would say the number one survival technique for hikers, is to take a buddy and do not under any but the most dire circumstance separate. None of this, "I'm just going up around the bend to look while you retie your shoe." bit. Insist on staying together no matter what. The Smokies are remarkable in that you can get lost so easily. One area looks like another and it is vast. Unprepared hikers are a curse to themselves and those that are risking their lives to try and find them. The Clements woman was found and disappeared in just a short while. There is a book about being lost in the smokies and gives many different stories. "Lost!, A Rangers Journal of Search and Rescue". Is a must read, they should make it a mandatory read for anyone considering a hike in the Smokies.
(https://lex18.com/news/covering-the...o-hiker-found-dead-in-great-smokey-mountains/)
Vanished into Thin Air at the Great Smoky Mountains
Brent Swancer August 4, 2016

Google the above for a good read too.
Even those who were prepared have died.

It's a personal choice if a person wants to go out solo or with another person. I run a long trap line during fall and winter alone. If I waited until I had another person to go with me I'd never get out. Everything in life carries some sort of risk, and I'm sure these people understood that risk.
It seems strange to me how someone with the most basic outdoor skills could get lost in the lower 48 since there isn't any place that's further than a 2 or 3 day hike from a road.

Most of our problems here are exposure that kills every year, we have lost hikers, foragers and hunters every month, a lot of areas here are iron or other metals where the compass doesn't do any good. The Cascades can go extreme in a matter of minutes and by in large people are not prepared for it either though map, literature and trail heads have posted warning about the weather.

It's a personal choice if a person wants to go out solo or with another person. I run a long trap line during fall and winter alone. If I waited until I had another person to go with me I'd never get out. Everything in life carries some sort of risk, and I'm sure these people understood that risk.
It seems strange to me how someone with the most basic outdoor skills could get lost in the lower 48 since there isn't any place that's further than a 2 or 3 day hike from a road.
I think that they get lost and go around in circles. You know one side of your body is dominant and a person tends to take larger strides with that side. So over the course of time you end up making circles. If you can see the sun or set a landmark then ok. You can't see anything even on an elevation though. I have stood The Cumberland Gap and you can't tell anything from anything. It is a vast wilderness out there off the trail and you may never find your way back. Crazy people just disappear sometimes. I have read a lot of stories. I haven't read the 411 book yet but it sounds interesting.

Most of our problems here are exposure that kills every year, we have lost hikers, foragers and hunters every month, a lot of areas here are iron or other metals where the compass doesn't do any good. The Cascades can go extreme in a matter of minutes and by in large people are not prepared for it either though map, literature and trail heads have posted warning about the weather.
Had not thought about the metals causing havoc with the compass. Good point to remember. Sometimes I will watch a program about the DNR up in the NE and they search for lost hikers, sometimes they find them, sometimes they find them dead or sometimes they even find their way out by themselves. But, If hiking especially you are trying a new trail or going out for an extended period. take a buddy. I don't take one where I live because I can't get lost. If I get hurt, I will just sit there til someone comes for me, I can call for help, we have signals. I mean one hour walk at the farthest and you are at a road.
There have been some really weird things go on in the woods. If I take the trail out, I can be at the next road in less than an hour. I know the territory and I don't panic.

I don't understand why anyone hiking in the great wilderness wouldn't just spend $100 on a gps device to not get lost. It just seems ridiculous to me not to take advantage of such readily available tech.
I wondered if the woman that got lost and died was just walking with her daughter on a lark. Not really hiking so wasn't prepared. But man, they go off the trail to pee and get lost. It is so well known that I can't understand it either. But then again there has never been a shortage of incompetent humans.

How and why people get lost when hiking

Avoid getting lost by being proactive when on the trail.
And how to not make their errors

Among the greatest dangers of hiking is getting lost. Panic often sets in when this happens, which in turn results in bad decision-making that can lead to getting further lost, an injury, and even death. One way to keep from getting lost is to think about how people end up in that situation. You can take preemptive steps to avoid making the same mistake.

The main reason people get lost is that they turn onto the wrong trail. This happens in a couple of ways. First, they simply aren’t paying close attention and so go onto the wrong trail. Secondly, they take a false trail, such as misinterpreting an animal trail for a human one. To avoid either error, always familiarize yourself with the trail via maps and satellite photos before setting out on the hike. Then bring a topo map and compass with you. Lastly, constantly consult your map and compass while on the trail, so that you know where you are and what’s the next waypoint; especially do this before making any turns onto another trail.

Another common reason people get lost is because they leave the trail. There may be an obstacle such as a fallen tree they must walk around. Or perhaps they take a break to swim. Or maybe they want to see some rock formation or waterfall that is just off the trail. Before leaving the trail, always consult your map and compass to know where you’re at. Chart as straight of a course as you can to where you want to go. When you get to your destination (the swimming hole, waterfall, etc.), look back and see how you came from the trail to where you’re standing. Use the exact same route when returning to the main trail.

A variant of this is when people take a shortcut. Even if you have a map, cutting across a woods or around a hill to save you time typically results in a longer hike, both in time and distance. Usually trails weren’t built where the “shortcut” is because that way wasn’t easy to pass through, meaning it’s likely swampy and probably won’t be a straight shot. Without a trail on a map to help you determine where you’re at, you easily can get turned around and end up disoriented. Instead, always stay on the trail.

One more reason hikers get lost is night falls before they’ve reached their destination, so the trail is too dark to see. The quick solution is to determine how long you will need to reach a destination before setting out. Most hikers can cover a couple of miles per hour. So if the trail is four miles long, plan a two-hour trip one-way. Before going on the hike, check to see when sunset is. If it’s at 8:30 p.m., then leaving anytime after 6 p.m. is a risk just to go one-way. Instead, shorten the hike to two miles or simply wait until another day. Lastly, always carry a flashlight in your backpack, just in case.

A less common way people get lost is they must cross rocks or a creek in which there are no bootprints to follow. There’s a certain comfort in seeing fresh treadmarks on a trail; you know that at least others have gone that way recently. When those treadmarks are gone, you may feel like you’re guessing which way to go. Before crossing rocks or a creek, instead try to visually identify where you are to come out on the other side and keep you eyes locked that point as you cross. Barring that, always consult your map and chart a course. Also, look for cairns which can guide you to your destination.

Another reason people get lost is a sudden change in the weather. Rain and particularly snow can obscure points on the horizon that you need for keeping track of your course; they also can make the trail confusing to follow. Always check a weather report in advance of setting out on a trail, especially if in the mountains. At the first sign of inclement weather, turn back and avoid making cardinal errors of taking a shortcut or skipping a map reading just to save you time.

189 men and 51 women have never returned since 1997 Oregon, from what I found online.

Going off trail is a big one here or the dog is off leash and they go searching.

2339 search and rescue missions last year (2017) in Washington cascades, from 1998 to 2012 190 men and 51 women officially remain listed as missing just from Oregon.

The you have people like this

Couple gets lost in Cascade Range using GPS
https://www.heraldandnews.com/break...cle_ea780435-4e3a-5d7c-bff3-b5e4e38a7b8f.html

Three people found dead after going missing at Shannon Falls near Squamish
https://globalnews.ca/video/4312269...-going-missing-at-shannon-falls-near-squamish

although our "wilderness" isn't like yours. mostly moorland with little tree cover, people have had to be rescued none the less , hyperthermia, broken ankles, and some of the clothing! open toed sandals, shorts and strappy tops, 1 little bottle of water between them, and we can get 3 seasons in one day up there. usually that's the worst of it but we have had a couple of deaths, usually someone trying to cross a swollen river and get washed away and drowned.

if you get lost here, you find a stream-loads of them in North Devon- follow that until it joins a river then follow that downstream until it reaches either a road or a village, hamlet or a farm house.
of course, not everyone knows this!

• Using a gps?.no cell service.ran out of formula. I pled the 5th on this one.
Another example of technology making the species weaker. I don't travel unless I have a vehicle full of food, clothes, all sorts of survival items so I can get back home. When I drive to town I often don't carry this stuff but I can walk the few miles back easily. AND it is not remote at all.

if you get lost here, you find a stream-loads of them in North Devon- follow that until it joins a river then follow that downstream until it reaches either a road or a village, hamlet or a farm house.
of course, not everyone knows this!
There's a book by Alexander Thom called "Follow the River", it is based on a true story of a woman who was abducted by native Americans and her escape back to "civilization". It shows how determined a person can be to get home no matter the cost.

i'll have to look that one up, never heard of it before.
Here's another good one that I had forgotten about. The story of Juliane Koepcke, she was in a plane that disintegrated and fell to earth still strapped to her seat. She followed a river and found help several days later. She wrote a book in 2011 and I remember there was also a movie. It is a harrowing story. Pretty gruesome finding dead people in the jungle still in their seats, may have survived the fall but died after landing or plummeted head first and plowed into the earth. It is amazing she got out of there with her injuries, she did what her Dad said to do if she ever got lost and that was follow water.

the following water tip was something I learned a long time ago but I doubt many people these days know of it.
its like the old tip off walking on the right hand side of the road, in the UK that's facing oncoming traffic, in the countryside where there are no sidewalks, but if you tell that to a lot of people they think your joking, no joke being run over by a car that comes up behind you.

I don't understand what all of you are rambling on about. Stop it!

There are a lot of stupid people out there looking for a way to take themselves out of the gene pool. LET THEM. Please, let them help society in the only way the seem able to.

They go out, they feed a bear a good meal or two. I hope their flesh doesn't give the bear any weird diseases. Why is that really that bad of a thing? Life happens. Death happens. Let nature take its path.

if they'd taken even 5 lbs of the right supplies, they'd have been ok, assuming that the had brains, which is way too much of an assumption for half of the US population. Look how many voted for a proven traitor, thief, browbeater of her hubby's rape victims.

if they'd taken even 5 lbs of the right supplies, they'd have been ok, assuming that the had brains, which is way too much of an assumption for half of the US population. Look how many voted for a proven traitor, thief, browbeater of her hubby's rape victims.

Not always the case, a good number are very educated with the right equipment but **** happens and having the right equipment won't change the outcome.

Back