Lack of quality bug out supplies in the UK

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@depose_nwo

Reaction score
has anyone else noticed the lack of good quality bug out / camping supplies stores in the uk??
it seems to me that right now, at a time when prepping is at its peak in the media, there are actually no outlets left that are specializing in high quality equipment. most of the high street camping supply stores are now closed due to the recession, leaving the high street stores "Blacks" [fine if you want to go to the Glastonbury festival] and "Nevisport" [fine if your idea of bugging out is an expensive ski holiday in aviemore] with a monopoly. the vast majority of small business army surplus stores are also closed. someone like myself, who has been prepping for the last 15 years with high quality camping equipment and grade 1 army surplus will survive...but the newcomers to the culture are left with festival tents and appalling quality "borderline" or "nike" backpacks. if the only quality items left are online, then I suggest newcomers start panic buying supplies immediately, because when TSHTF it will be too late.
What is the situation in the USA for retail camping and bug out supplies???

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Coming from Australia, camping stores are fairly common here so no real issue there. I do find camping stores over priced though.

Army Disposal stores are the BEST place i feel for prepping items, other than food.

As for a decent BOB, i dont think you can go past the online stores. Thats where i got mine and it is by far better than anything i found in a retail outlet here.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Coming from Australia, camping stores are fairly common here so no real issue there. I do find camping stores over priced though.

Army Disposal stores are the BEST place i feel for prepping items, other than food.

As for a decent BOB, i dont think you can go past the online stores. Thats where i got mine and it is by far better than anything i found in a retail outlet here.

Hi.
thanks for the warm welcome and the quick reply, judging by what you have said, I hope if I ever need to do an emergency bug out, I can only hope I am vacationing in Australia at the time!!...I agree with pretty much everything you have said. although camping stores may well be very overpriced, I guess there is some consolation in the fact that at least the equipment is available to you if you have the cash. the UK is becoming pretty dire for its inability to provide quality equipment when you need it.

yes, army disposal, or army surplus as we call it here is still the best place to go, but these stores are becoming fewer all the time due to small businesses failing in the recession. over the years I have probably purchased 50 rucksacks, 90% ended up getting sold on, as they just did not perform. the only ones I ended up keeping were a couple of civilian berghaus rucksacks...and ALL the ex-army military ones. if you are into military rucksacks, the best tip I can give is to take a look at the dutch army surplus, it is pretty much bomb proof, comfortable, and much better than its Brit counterparts.

"As for a decent BOB, i dont think you can go past the online stores"...unfortunately I think you are telling me what I already feared there...let's hope that when society falls apart, and we are living in "mad max" type scenarios, DHL and the Postal Service are still operating!!..somehow, I think not!!...Ha!!

I notice we are prepping for pretty much the same scenario, so I will keep an eye on your posts.
...once again, many thanks for the quick reply, and for the warm welcome.

@depose_nwo

My suggestion is to use what you can online. Probably note down a priority listing. Ie: Most important/crucial items first...and so on.

This way, if society does crumble you hopefully will have the important items. The less important are usually luxury items you can either do with out or accumulate later down the track.

Re Surplus stores, what you see happening there is also happening here. These stores, as awesome as they are are becoming fewer and fewer. Im lucky to have a local store which i use every time i can.

has anyone else noticed the lack of good quality bug out / camping supplies stores in the uk??
it seems to me that right now, at a time when prepping is at its peak in the media, there are actually no outlets left that are specializing in high quality equipment. most of the high street camping supply stores are now closed due to the recession, leaving the high street stores "Blacks" [fine if you want to go to the Glastonbury festival] and "Nevisport" [fine if your idea of bugging out is an expensive ski holiday in aviemore] with a monopoly. the vast majority of small business army surplus stores are also closed. someone like myself, who has been prepping for the last 15 years with high quality camping equipment and grade 1 army surplus will survive...but the newcomers to the culture are left with festival tents and appalling quality "borderline" or "nike" backpacks. if the only quality items left are online, then I suggest newcomers start panic buying supplies immediately, because when TSHTF it will be too late.
What is the situation in the USA for retail camping and bug out supplies???
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

Welcome to the forum. You might want to make some contacts in the States that are like minded and would be willing to do some purchasing for you and then mail items to you.

Welcome to the forum. You might want to make some contacts in the States that are like minded and would be willing to do some purchasing for you and then mail items to you.

Hi,
thanks for the warm welcome, in terms of equipment I probably have all I need and more...although that doesn't ever stop me getting new stuff. my bigger concerns are towards newer preppers who have never experienced the quality and availability that we new 10 years ago, and who may think the $50 tent and nike backpack are the way to go. I am definitely looking at getting contacts in the USA, New Zealand and Australia.
thanks for your interest in this thread. I will follow your posts with interest.

You never know, in a pinch that $5o tent and nike backpack may save their hide rather than waiting around on something better to come along.

Latest posts

Back