Home security, theft prevention

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandx

Demi-God
Reaction score
Check out this great use of a trail cam!
Sullivan County Sheriff's Office - Indiana
1 hr ·
Trail Camera Aids Sheriff's Office in Burglary Investigation

On Friday April 27, 2018, a burglary occurred at a new home construction site on N. CR 200 E. in Shelburn, IN. The homeowner arrived around 4:30 PM to find the door of his home standing open. Upon closer inspection, the homeowner discovered that several tools had been stolen.

As a prior security measure, the homeowner had previously installed trail cameras not far from his house. When the homeowner reviewed the trail camera images, he saw that a strange vehicle had visited his home around 11:30 AM Friday morning.

The images captured a gray Mitsubishi Outlander pulling up to the house. The suspect vehicle was easily distinguishable by a large cargo bag on the roof, and unique bumper stickers on the back and sides of the vehicle.

Although the plate number was clearly visible in the images, investigators determined through BMV records that the vehicle had recently transferred ownership; however, the license plates were not properly registered.

Sullivan County Sheriff Clark Cottom enhanced the images with computer software, and was able to determine there were two front seat occupants. In the enhanced photos, the driver can be seen wearing a black ball cap, with a lime green Monster claw emblem. The front seat passenger appears to be a white female with blonde hair.

A four-day investigation by Sheriff Cottom, Chief Deputy Jason Bobbitt, Detective Ron Elliott and Deputy Justin Copeland followed. The driver was identified as Earl Young III – 33, last residing in Shelburn, IN. His female accomplice was identified as Helen Wade – 27, last residing in Hymera, IN.

Both suspects were in custody by late Wednesday.

Sheriff Cottom said he believes Earl Young unlawfully entered the home and removed multiple construction tools, while Helen Wade served as a lookout.

Wade was arrested late Friday, when Indiana State Police Trooper Bradley Fyfe stopped her vehicle in Vigo County for improper plates. In addition to the Sullivan County charges, Wade now faces charges of Possession of Methamphetamine, Possession of Paraphernalia, Maintaining a Common Nuisance, Possession of a Controlled Substance, Possession of Marijuana, and Driving While Suspended in Vigo County. Trooper Fyfe was assisted with the traffic stop by Trooper Ian Porteus and Trooper Justin Bell.

Sheriff Cottom, Chief Bobbitt and Deputy Copeland continued the investigation by interviewing associates, which led to officers setting up a stakeout near Farmersburg, late Wednesday afternoon.

Around 5:40 PM, Young was spotted by Cottom, Bobbitt and Copeland leaving Farmersburg, heading south on Miner City Road. The officers followed Young out of town, until Sheriff’s Deputy Eric Valdez, assisted by Shelburn Police Officers Matthew Price and Joe Stephens, were in position to safely stop the suspect.

At the traffic stop, Young was found to be in possession of methamphetamine and a syringe used to insert methamphetamine into the body.

Sheriff Cottom, Chief Bobbitt and Deputy Copeland followed with interviews, resulting in both arrestees giving full confessions of their involvement in Friday’s burglary.

Helen Wade was charged with Burglary and Theft in Sullivan County. She remains in the Vigo County Jail awaiting transfer to Sullivan County. Her bond will be $28,000. W/10.

Earl Young was secured in the Sullivan County Jail late Wednesday, charged with Burglary, and Theft. He also faces charges of Possession of Methamphetamine and Possession of a Syringe. His bond was set at $44,000. W/10.

Sheriff’s investigators were able to recover some of the items stolen, however, a Dewalt compound miter saw, a Bosch hammer drill, along with a Milwaukee drill, impact, and sawzaw remain missing.

Sheriff’s investigators will be closely monitoring pawnshops and visiting known associates for the items. Any person with information concerning these arrestees or the stolen items, should contact the Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office at 812-268-4308

All person accused of a crime are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Photos of items similar to the stolen items are attached.

I don't worry much about home security,a robbery here would be to costly to anyone who tried ,,,the dogs see to that,day or night there is not a person in this world who will ever sneak up on me or rob this place without the dogs seeing them

We have logging and heavies in the back 40s the dogs can't cover, also one at the driveways gate almost two mile from the house the cameras work great, up around the house, barn and stables the dogs do a good job,

Tell ya what has just occured in the UK, Guy comes home finds his 10 month old Schnauser pup is missing. He realises that Amazon has delivered a parcel to his home so he contacts Amazon to ask the driver if he had seen anything.. Amazon gets back to him to say YES the driver had delivered a parcel but for some reason the Amazon driver then had called at his own home.......................................... Yup the Amazon driver had stolen his dog.

Unfortunately, we're gone most of the day on weekdays. But, our dogs are in the house (only one is a threat to a burglar), so no good for the garage. Still, our gates are shut and locked, and we have numerous fences. Our next door neighbor is a retiree, and nosy though, so if she sees someone strange, she'll text us. Our horse boarders are also in and out, and since the safety of their horses, they are vested...

After dark though, would be a bad idea (for me or any of my neighbors). Most have large dogs, and I'm sure the vast majority have firearms. (and trucks and tractors that would likely turn your vehicle into scrap metal).

Last edited:
Nice !!

I like the couple of stick hits for the "just do it" bandit.

I wonder if he heard the "swoosh" comin'.

Must have been all the more painful as he didn't see it coming :D

I want to know what brand the doors are, they stood up to quite a beating.:)

The only thing I’d want a trail cam for is watching my dogs eat these idiots. Lol
I kind of agree. Sure the cameras are good for helping to catch someone after the fact, but I like something more proactive like stopping them before you’re robbed!

Yeah, trail cams are for after the fact....but if you're wanting to keep up on who's doing what and during what times, I think they would be a pretty useful tool to have at your disposal.

Back