Hello from Upstate SC

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11B4X

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I live in South Carolina with my wife of 13 years and two sons. I'm getting ready to retire from the Army, I am a combat infantryman with too many hard tours far away from my family, so I am hanging up the uniform in a couple of years. I transitioned to the reserve recently, so I could start preparing for civilian life, where I am a drill sergeant.

I have a degree in Crisis Counseling and am planning on getting started on a masters next spring. My current civilian job is working in network operations for the phone company but my passion is in helping vets with PTSD.

We started prepping a couple of years ago, I've seen too much war in my life and want us to be ready if SHTF here in the US. We currently have food and water to last us just over 45 days and I keep very nicely stocked 72 hour BOBs in our vehicles.

Being a door kicker and trigger puller by trade, I have focused more on weapons and equipment, stocking ammo and outfitting my weapons with quality optics. I taught my wife combat shooting techniques (reflexive fire, stress shooting, weapons retention, CQB, etc) with the pistol and combat shotgun, we start training her on the AR this summer.

I started training my 8 year old on the compound bow and will start with firearms next year if he continues to show maturity.

We live within 20 miles of a very mountainous, heavily wooded region of the state, right now the plan is to bug out to the mountains, I was raised in the country and have spent untold hours training in the mountains over the last 16 years in the Army, I feel confident we would be able to hold up there for quite awhile.

I plan to continue stockpiling non perishable foods until we have about 6 months worth.

That's about it for now, looking forward to learning some new skills and tips.

Welcome...sounds like you fit right in..4 x....is that a size? These guys are made for you.can't wait to read your posts. But please....what can we call you.

11B4X is my military occupation. The 4X part is my rank and additional skill identifier, Sergeant First Class, Drill Sergeant qualified. Not quite a 4x in size, thank goodness. My name is Mike. Pleased to meet you.

G'day from Down Under - good memories from my time in SC - lived in Columbia - worked on a cotton/'backy farm up near Blenheim, lots of great memories from your part of the world. Even had my first taste of "Moonshine" from a well hidden distillary, learnt to chew ' backy, picked cotton & ' backy leaves by hand, even fell for a 'southern belle' from SC. Go Gamecocks ( my college gridiron team that I support, though also have a soft spot for Clemson).

howdy mike.and welcome to the forum..from what you told us here.i see that you do know your weapons..and liveing in the country..

Thanks for the warm welcome. I know weapons, tactics, emergency medical treatment and hunting/fishing. I know a good bit about local plants and what's edible but I don't know much about farming, sustainable energy solutions or raising animals. So I have a lot to learn and work on in order to live long term. You're talking about a guy who has been trying to grow grass for two years in a bald spot in his backyard, not sure Ill pull off a garden. Lol

lmao..i got grass to grow in one spot once,, where the ground was so hard that i even amazed my self..you came to the right place to learn and to teach.on acount im sure we can learn from you just as much as you can learn from us..

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. Is the bald patch over a septic tank? Or is it under trees? If it's neither, someone may have used salt to kill out weeds and that jacks the ground up quite a bit. Get yourself some good rotted manure and work up that patch with a hoe and get the manure worked in good. Put down winter wheat or rye and cover lightly with some straw or hay, water well. If the spot is over a septic tank, build a big flower box and plant some thing pretty in the dirt you use to fill the box.

And Bill, what do you mean 'NASTY' gardens?o_O

No septic, sewer, it's at the back of the property line, I tilled it up last year and seeded it, covered it with straw, watered it twice a day for three weeks and not a sprout. Ill try that manure trick this year, it's just starting to warm up so maybe I can get it to germinate this time.

There's some chemical there. You could take a soil sample down to the county agents office to let him test it before you spend more money on seed .

I live in South Carolina with my wife of 13 years and two sons. I'm getting ready to retire from the Army, I am a combat infantryman with too many hard tours far away from my family, so I am hanging up the uniform in a couple of years. I transitioned to the reserve recently, so I could start preparing for civilian life, where I am a drill sergeant.

I have a degree in Crisis Counseling and am planning on getting started on a masters next spring. My current civilian job is working in network operations for the phone company but my passion is in helping vets with PTSD.

We started prepping a couple of years ago, I've seen too much war in my life and want us to be ready if SHTF here in the US. We currently have food and water to last us just over 45 days and I keep very nicely stocked 72 hour BOBs in our vehicles.

Being a door kicker and trigger puller by trade, I have focused more on weapons and equipment, stocking ammo and outfitting my weapons with quality optics. I taught my wife combat shooting techniques (reflexive fire, stress shooting, weapons retention, CQB, etc) with the pistol and combat shotgun, we start training her on the AR this summer.

I started training my 8 year old on the compound bow and will start with firearms next year if he continues to show maturity.

We live within 20 miles of a very mountainous, heavily wooded region of the state, right now the plan is to bug out to the mountains, I was raised in the country and have spent untold hours training in the mountains over the last 16 years in the Army, I feel confident we would be able to hold up there for quite awhile.

I plan to continue stockpiling non perishable foods until we have about 6 months worth.

That's about it for now, looking forward to learning some new skills and tips.
Welcome and thank you for taking time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com. Your presence here is much appreciated. We look forward to your posts, and hope you enjoy the community!

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the proper area, and I know you will get an answer, as he members on here are extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help!

Thank you again for taking the time to join Doomsday Prepper Forums.com!

From one Army vet to another... Thank you for your service! I would love to have been a drill sergeant....

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. Is the bald patch over a septic tank? Or is it under trees? If it's neither, someone may have used salt to kill out weeds and that jacks the ground up quite a bit. Get yourself some good rotted manure and work up that patch with a hoe and get the manure worked in good. Put down winter wheat or rye and cover lightly with some straw or hay, water well. If the spot is over a septic tank, build a big flower box and plant some thing pretty in the dirt you use to fill the box.

And Bill, what do you mean 'NASTY' gardens?o_O

And when Old Anorak says to work up that patch with a "hoe"....she is NOT referring to your wife!!
Welcome to the forum Mike! God Bless You for your service to our country!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Latest posts

Back