American Blackbelly Sheep

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
VIP Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to plan ahead for some kind of livestock for BOL2. American Blackbelly Sheep breed year round and have hair instead of wool, so no lanolin to make them gamey tasting. And they are very low maintenance. So this sounds like a good milk/meat breed. I was thinking about goats before, but these sound interesting.

Does anyone have any experience with these.

And rams can be sold to game ranches. They tend to be on the wild side anyhow.
AmericanBlackbellySheep.jpg

https://whitetailandexoticshunting.blogspot.com/2007/12/american-blackbelly-ram.html

Last edited:
Keeping goats penned is a problem from everything I’ve experienced during growing up on the family farms. Billy goats are downright STINKY!

As far a sheep? Never raised or even help raise any. But the ones that really have attracted my attention are the ones being raised by “Wild Wonderful Off Grid” on YouTube. This couple is smart about everything they do. They built their own house while living with 3 kids and a dog in the tiniest camper I’ve ever seen! They now have 3 businesses that are really doing well. They raise this kind of sheep (whatever the name is) and these two don’t waste time on anything. So I trust them in their choice.

1709994395186.png

1709994472958.png

1709994504270.png

Short that shows the sheep at the end…

It gets so hot here, I was looking at breeds tolerant of my area. I'll check out their other videos on YouTube, but where do they live?

American Blackbellies were developed in Texas which often has temperature extremes. They have hair instead of wool. They grow a layer of underfur when it gets cold, but shed it when the weather warms up. So they are adapted to both cold and hot climates.

From what I've read, they are not "cuddly" type sheep. They can be trained to come to you, but they don't like to be petted.

There are a number of big selling points for me. Many of these are related to the fact that they were bred to be able to survive living wild on game ranches.
  • No wool except for an underfur in winter which sheds completely so they never need to be sheared. (I'm not interested in producing wool)
  • They usually do not need to have their tails docked.
  • Because they don't have wool they don't have much lanolin in their skin which is what makes mutton gamey.
  • They can forage almost like goats so they don't need much feed, if any.
  • They are not as susceptible to health issues and many times don't require any veterinary care.
  • They are better at fending off predators than most sheep...this will be pretty important at BOL2.

Latest posts

Back